There have been many biographical papers written about Joseph Clover, some of which are listed below.
Anthony Clover, Joseph Clover's great grandson, has spent years researching his extensive family history. He presented two papers to the Histoire de l'Anesthésie et de la Reanimation in September 2008. These papers relate to the life of Joseph Clover and his immediate family, and to the equipment he invented. The transcipts are presented here (click on the titles), as originally produced, in French.
1. Clover AD. Joseph Thomas CLOVER. 1825-1882. Grand pionnier de l'anesthésie.
2. Clover AD. Méthodes et appareils d'anesthésie utilisés par Joseph Thomas Clover.
3. Cock FW. Joseph Clover. The Lancet. 1913(April 5 ):985-6.
4. Buxton DW. Joseph Thomas Clover, 1825–1882: A Pioneer in Anaesthesia. British Journal of Anaesthesia. 1923;1(2):55-61
5. Marston AD. The life and achievements of Joseph Thomas Clover. Ann Roy Coll Surg Engl. 1949;4:267.
6 Atkinson RS, Boulton TB. Clover's portable regulating ether inhaler (1877). Anaesthesia. 1977;32:1033-6.
7. Mapleson WW. From Clover to computer. Anaesthesia. 1979;34:163-72.
8. Lee JA. Joseph Clover and the contributions of surgery to anaesthesia. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 1960;26:280-99. Epub 1960/05/01. PubMed PMID: 14415185.
9. Woollam CHM. Joseph.T.Clover (1825-1882). Current Anaesthesia and Critical Care. 1994;5:53-61.
10. Marston AD. A short survey of the life and work of Joseph Clover. The Medical Press. 1946.
11. Adams AK. The family of Joseph Thomas Clover (1825-1882). In: Barr AM, Boulton TB, Wilkinson DJ, editors. Essays on the history of anaesthesia: The Royal Society of Medicine Press; 1996. p. 141-5.
12. Ball C. Joseph Clover and the cobra: a tale of snake envenomation and attempted resuscitation with bellows in London, 1852. Anaesthesia and Intensive Care. 2010;38(Suppl 1):5-9.
13. Ball C. Chloroform for the King? Joseph Clover, Henry Thompson and the King of the Belgians. Anaesthesia and Intensive Care. 2011;39:11.
14. Ball C. Joseph Clover's Casebook. In: Askitopoulou H, editor. History of Anaesthesia VII Proceedings of the 7th International Symposium on the History of Anaesthesia. Crete: Crete University Press; 2012. p. 139-50.
<Back to Further information Next page>